As the MCU enters Phase 4, fans are more interested than ever in the length of the current releases, as they continue to want longer episodes and big-screen adventures. Nearly all of the Disney+ series have been chastised for the length of their chapters, but Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was the most recent to suffer from this, clocking in at barely 2 hours, 6 minutes.
Thor: Love and Thunder is getting closer to its July release date, and fans are wondering how long it will last. Taika Waititi has a lot to do in Love and Thunder, including spending time with the Guardians of the Galaxy, reintroducing Jane Foster as the Mighty Thor, and delving into Christian Bale’s Gorr the God Butcher.
Rumors have claimed that the next adventure of the God of Thunder will last between 1 hour, 55 minutes and 2 hours, 20 minutes – a time span that may be the difference between disappointment and exhilaration.
With less than a day before tickets go on sale, the world’s largest cinemas seem to have announced the official runtime.
How Long Will Thor: Love and Thunder Be Available?
How long does Thor Love and Thunder last? Thor: Love and Thunder has a duration of 1 hour and 59 minutes according to the world’s two major theater chains, AMC and Cineworld. Previous contradicting recorded run times varied from 1 hour, 55 minutes to 2 hours, 20 minutes, with the most recent listing being on the lower end.
With tickets going on sale on Monday, June 13, the current rumor most likely reflects the film’s official duration.
Thor 4’s 119-minute runtime makes it the shortest MCU theatrical release since Ant-Man and the Wasp (1 hour, 58 minutes) in 2018 and the seventh-shortest Marvel Studios film ever.
For reference, here is the complete list of MCU movie runtimes:
- 2 hours and 6 minutes for Iron Man
- The Incredible Hulk runs for 1 hour and 52 minutes.
- 2 hours and 4 minutes for Iron Man 2.
- 1 hour and 55 minutes for Thor
- 2 hours and 4 minutes for Captain America: The First Avenger
- 2 hours and 23 minutes for The Avengers
- Iron Man 3 takes 2 hours and 10 minutes to complete.
- Thor: The Dark World runs for 1 hour and 52 minutes.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a running time of 2 hours and 16 minutes.
- 2 hours, 1 minute – Guardians of the Galaxy
- Avengers: Age of Ultron runs for 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- Ant-Man runs for 1 hour and 57 minutes.
- Captain America: Civil War runs for 2 hours and 27 minutes.
- 1 hour and 55 minutes for Doctor Strange
- 2 hours, 16 minutes – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Spider-Man: Homecoming runs for 2 hours and 13 minutes.
- 2 hours and 10 minutes for Thor: Ragnarok
- 2 hours and 14 minutes for Black Panther
- Avengers: Infinity War runs for 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp runs for 1 hour and 58 minutes.
- 2 hours and 3 minutes for Captain Marvel
- Endgame – 3 hours and 1 minute
- Spider-Man: Far From Home runs for 2 hours and 9 minutes.
- 2 hours and 14 minutes for Black Widow
- 2 hours, 12 minutes – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- 2 hours and 36 minutes for Eternals
- Spider-Man: No Way Home runs for 2 hours and 28 minutes.
- 2 hours, 6 minutes – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Is Thor 4’s running time really that bad?
Many people nowadays are eager to condemn a big-screen or Disney+ episode before it has even been published. Pacing is critical in film and television; too short and everything might seem hurried, too lengthy and things tend to drag at a snail’s pace.
Just four months before Thor: Ragnarok’s 2017 release, director Taika Waititi talked with Collider and said that his current version of the picture was just 1 hour, 40 minutes long, which swelled to 2 hours, 10 minutes by release. Waititi also revealed his conviction that “stories are better when you leave people wanting more,” and he may be using the same rationale in Love and Thunder: Reign of Fire.
“Right now, I’d say the cut is about 100 minutes.” It’s not going to be a very lengthy film. I believe that tales are best when they leave the audience wanting more, and this picture runs at a breakneck pace, with things occurring all the time. I believe viewers will be fatigued by the end because they’ve gone on such a long trip, therefore I don’t think the film has to be three hours long.”
Only Thor: Ragnarok, the God of Thunder’s fourth feature, went over two hours, and even that only went slightly over, implying that Love and Thunder’s duration is in line with the series. Only time will tell whether the sequel suffers from pace concerns, but Waititi has shown himself to be a great filmmaker and gained fans’ confidence.
The Guardians of the Galaxy will most likely be absent from the action within the first 30 minutes, allowing the remaining time to concentrate on the current characters and Christian Bale’s Gorr the God Butcher. So Love and Thunder may not accomplish as much in its two-hour runtime as many imagine.